Already the midterm of the Google Summer of Code, and I didn’t post updates like I wanted. I guess thinking and hacking is still more easy and fun for me than writing. However, let’s correct that.
The least I can say is that the warp tool is in better shape than the cage tool the same time last year. The reason is simple, I learned a lot last year, and the warp tool need similar skills, and even reuse some part of the code.
That said, here is the report:
A quick screencast:
Each actions on the canvas are implemented as a Gegl operation that produce a relative coordinate buffer, that is inserted in the render graph. The final image is computed with a map-relative render operation.
This is what still need to be handled:
As I’m more confident this year, I’m going a bit deeper and I work on related things, especially in Gegl. An interresting thing is that the warp tool is structurally close than a paint core, and is therefore a step closer to a paint core based on Gegl in Gimp.
That’s it ! This summer again, i will participate to the Summer of Code program !
My last year’s contribution was for me a huge challenge, a way to learn a LOT of things, to meet and work with some very interesting people, and a big source of pride (even for my family, here we can see how much Google’s name mean something for the society nowadays).
This year, I’ll use the knowledge I learned last year to rewrite the old plugin iWarp as a real internal Gimp tool. His pretty name will be the Gimp Warp Tool). That’s a feature that has been asked and waited for long. Here again, this tool will fit in the ‘big picture’, the future of Gimp (Gegl, live on-canvas preview, ..).
On a more personal note, it’s clear that my task this year is less challenging than last year (another deformation tool, structure relatively close..), and it’s kind of too bad. Nevertheless, it’s always great to work on a big project like Gimp, and users return it well most of the time. And hey, it’s cool to have his brain working during the summer =)
This time, I should be able to do the job right the first time (as opposition to the cage tool, that was kind of a prototype at the end of the summer), and avoid the 3 or 4 partial rewrite that was needed after the deadline. With a bit of luck, this tool can be included in Gimp 2.8. The start of the coding period is in fact not so far !
Expect news !
It’s been a while since i didn’t post update here. There even was months without any change, especially when I got the idea to write a small ERP suitable to a Junior-Enterprise. I spend somes hours on it today, and I feeled like it was time for a small changelog:
There is still some bugs to catch, the more obvious is that the image shift from the cage after a return in edit mode. But promess is made, it will be ready for the Gimp 2.8 release ! By the way, further work in the cage tool will be done in the master branch of Gimp, ne need to checkout a particilar branch.
To celebrate all this, I made a quick screencast with a lizard as the victim. Enjoy =)